Saturday, June 30, 2018

Heavenly

Definition of heavenly
1: of or relating to heaven or the heavens celestial the heavenly choirs
 use a telescope to study the heavenly bodies
2a suggesting the blessed state of heaven beatific  heavenly peace
b : delightful
Heavenly... what can I say... I have always heard the statement...
"You're So heavenly minded, you're no earthly good." 
So, I looked that up to see where it came from... It is a Johnny Cash song:
Come heed me, my brothers, come heed, one and all
Don't brag about standing or you'll surely fall
You're shining your light and shine it you should
But you're so heavenly minded, you're no earthly good
If you're holding heaven, then spread it around
There's hungry hands reaching up here from the ground
Move over and share the high ground where you stood
So heavenly minded, you're no earthly good
The gospel ain't gospel until it is spread
But how can you share it where you've got your head
There's hands that reach out for a hand if you would
So heavenly minded, you're no earthly good
If you're holding heaven, then spread it around
There's hungry hands reaching up here from the ground
Move over and share the high ground where you stood
So heavenly minded, you're no earthly good
This song has a lot of truth in it... So I am going to take some lines and share some verses that go along with the thoughts...

"Don't brag about standing or you'll surely fall"
"Pride goes before destruction, And a haughty spirit before a fall." Proverbs 16:18
Next line, "You're shining your light and shine it you should."  I think in the light of the previous line it is saying... you have a light and it shines no matter how you act. Does it lead people the "right" way? 
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven." Matthew 5:16
The next, "If your holding to heaven, then spread it around, there's hungry hands reaching up here from the ground, move over and share the high ground where you stood." We are supposed to help people and make God's love known to others. This line is saying if you are doing it from your high ground (out of pride), it isn't doing anyone any good.
 "My brethren, do not hold the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with partiality.  For if there should come into your assembly a man with gold rings, in fine apparel, and there should also come in a poor man in filthy clothes,  and you pay attention to the one wearing the fine clothes and say to him, “You sit here in a good place,” and say to the poor man, “You stand there,” or, “Sit here at my footstool,”  have you not shown partiality among yourselves, and become judges with evil thoughts?
Listen, my beloved brethren: Has God not chosen the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him? But you have dishonored the poor man. Do not the rich oppress you and drag you into the courts? Do they not blaspheme that noble name by which you are called?" James 2: 1-7
"The gospel ain't gospel until it is spread, but how can you share it where you've got your head, there's hands that reach out for a hand if you would." This says a mouth full. Gospel means, "good news"... If we are prideful and think of ourselves as better than anyone else, then the gospel we share may seem empty. Think about it... pride and arrogance do not belong in the sharing of the gospel. The verse may not seem to go but bear with me...
"For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ, for it is the power of God to salvation for everyone who believes, for the Jew first and also for the Greek." Romans 1:16
The reason I chose this verse is that if I am prideful when I share the gospel, then I am ashamed of just Jesus' work in the gospel. I am acting like I have to add to it, the Bible says we are not suppose to add to or take away from the word of God... The gospel needs to be shared as if we were Jesus telling His own story. Jesus would not be boastful or arrogant, neither should we. We need to share in a way that says, I have nothing at all to do with this but Christ has EVERYTHING to do with it.

So, I think Johnny had a lot to say about people who think they are better than any one else just because they are a Christian.  They (we) are not better than anyone else! I don't write these posts to say...

"Hey, look at me, I am a good writer (cough, cough), I know more than you (don't make me laugh), or  that my life in anyway is better than anyone else (SMH)....

I write to put my ideas down on "paper" so I can remember them. I share what God teaches me and I hope that maybe, just one person might find some good in it. I do it because I love others....

Thanks for Reading. God Bless You All!

Here is the new addition to my family....






 

No comments:

Post a Comment