Monday, June 11, 2018

Quiet

Today's word is Quiet!

We all long for quiet at some time in our lives. Mostly because the hustle and bustle of daily life never seems to stop once it starts. Many of us, can't even get quiet in our sleep because the world we live in even invades that "quiet" solitude.

Many years ago, for what ever reason I attended a workshop or a retreat where a lot of meditation was used to gain "insight" to who you are... supposedly. I am pretty sure most of it was probably not very helpful but I did learn to quiet myself a bit, I don't use the information as I should though. Any way one of the things we had to do was think of a place were we could be quiet, to picture it in our minds. My place is beautiful, but today I find it hard to get there, to picture it as clearly as I used to because the world and my life has crowded into it...

As I was was thinking about this word God presented me with the verses that have always represent spiritual quietness for me...

"Then He said, “Go out, and stand on the mountain before the Lord.” And behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind tore into the mountains and broke the rocks in pieces before the Lordbut the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake; 12 and after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire a still small voice." I Kings 19:11-12
 I am not sure if you know the story from this Bible passage so bare with me as I tell it in my own words....

Elijah is a Prophet of God in Israel (the northern kingdom). Ahab was king and Jezebel was queen, they did not worship God, they worshiped Baal. Elijah had just put an ultimatum to the people of Israel and told them to pick one God or Baal....

He issued a challenge to the 450 priest and prophets of Baal to prove that he was who they said he was. All day they called on Baal to consume the sacrifice they had laid out for him, and Baal never showed up.

Then Elijah rebuilt the alter of the Lord and he put the wood and sacrifice in order, then he dug a trench all around the alter. He told the people to fill 4 water pots with water and pour it on the sacrifice and alter. He had them do this 3 times, there was so much water it was over flowing the trench that was dug. Then Elijah, called to heaven and prayed to God that the people would hear and again believe that God was who He said He was.... At that point fire came from heaven, it consumed the sacrifice, the alter, and all the water was dried up.

Then Elijah told the people to kill all the prophets of Baal and to leave none alive. As a result of this Jezebel was a little upset to say the least. She wanted Elijah dead! So Elijah ran, he hid from the queen. He was depressed and scared for his life. He was praying in his depression for God just to put an end to his misery. Then God showed up....

God didn't come in a strong wind, in an earthquake, or in the fire... not that He couldn't have, and I believe when needed He does... But He came in a still small voice, in quiet.

I said all of that to say this.... Our lives at times look much like Elijah's, we are chased and beaten by fears real or perceived, we become bombarded with the harsh realities of the world we build around ourselves. We need to listen, to step out on the mountain side and listen, to sit in the quiet and listen to the still small voice of God. 

I drew a small representation of my quiet place.... in my mind it is more tropically... more green... and more beautiful. Anyway Thanks for reading. God bless you!


No comments:

Post a Comment