Thursday, June 14, 2018

Cool!

Isn't it cool that cool is the cool word for this cool day! Did I use the word enough yet. This is one word that I do use quite often in casual settings. If I think something or someone is cool I will say so.

I wanted to know when this word started to be used in this manner. I figured it was in the 60's but I was wrong. In this article, The Birth of CoolI learned a lot about how the word was/is used as slang. It had been used as early as the writing of Beowulf  and Midsummer Night's Dream to represent emotions being hot, cool, or cold. Jazz was the time period that solidified the word into slang use. Which is cool with me!

Now, I know that I usually use the Bible at some point in my blog, because I can and I wish to always honor God in my writing. So, it will be no different today. Well, maybe a little different!

There are 4 times that the word cool is use in the New King James Version of the Bible. Each of those references deal with temperature. In the English Standard Version there is an extra use that deals with a persons spirit. In The Message, there are 49 places the word cool is used, and most of them have to do with temperature and attitudes.  I chose these 3 versions because they range in there uses of the word from normal to out there (in a way). I like to look up verses in different translations even though I usually use the New King James Version. The Message if you didn't know is not actually a translation, it is a paraphrased version, meaning someone interpreted or retold God's words in their words. This is ok, but we have to remember that it is an interpretation.

So here is the one verse I will focus on today. It is the one that the ESV had that was different. I will use all three versions in this post though.

Proverbs 17:27 New King James Version (NKJV)
"He who has knowledge spares his words, And a man of understanding is of a calm spirit."
 Proverbs 17:27 English Standard Version (ESV)
"Whoever restrains his words has knowledge, and he who has a cool spirit is a man of understanding."
Proverbs 17:27 The Message (TM)
"The one who knows much says little; an understanding person remains calm."
They all say the same thing but the ESV uses cool in a way that I think most people can understand and does not lose any of the other meanings in the verse. Having a cool spirit is a good thing, I think most "cool" people, at least to me, have a cool spirit. The term "cool and collected" or "calm and collected" are pictured in this verse.

I want to be a cool person, I don't always succeed. I don't like confrontation and arguing so I try to stay cool spirited. I wonder what the world would be like if more people followed the idea in this verse. Maybe, just maybe the world would be a cooler place!

Thanks for reading! Have Cool Day! God Bless You All!

PS: This video has nothing to do with the post but I wanted to share it... I am working in my "doodling" journal here is what I have done so far. Some of the pages are incomplete, I am currently working on the last page in the flip, the preceding one I had forgotten about... and I plan to work on it next. I will share those when I finish them! I hope you enjoy the video!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment