Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Beneficial

Today's word is beneficial. The first thing that came to mind were the two scriptures below.

All things are lawful for me, but all things are not helpful. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any. I Corinthians 6:12
All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me, but not all things edify. I Corinthians 10:23 
Unless I state otherwise, I use The New King James Version of the Bible. The word Helpful is used instead of beneficial. I decided to look the scripture up in the Amplified versions to see what words were used and then in the Greek since that is the original text version...

 In the Amplified version beneficial or advantageous are used... In the Greek Version the word is sumpherei meaning expedient. When I think of expedient I think about something happening quickly... one of the meanings for the word does that, but there is more to it... Here is the Merriam-Webster definition:

Definition of expedient


1suitable for achieving a particular end in a given circumstance

2characterized by concern with what is opportuneespecially governed by self-interest

Synonym Discussion of expedient

expedient, politic, advisable mean dictated by practical or prudent motives. expedient usually implies what is immediately advantageous without regard for ethics or consistent principles.
  • a politically expedient decision 
politic stresses judiciousness and tactical value but usually implies some lack of candor or sincerity. 
  • politic show of interest 
advisable applies to what is practical, prudent, or advantageous but lacks the derogatory implication of expedient and politic. 
    • sometimes it's advisable to say nothing
 
So what does all this mean to me? I am glad you asked (notice my slight chuckle here).

In the preceding verses in I Corinthians 6, Paul is talking to the Corinthians about taking the brethren to court, bringing lawsuits against other people who profess to be Christians. He is not saying that the people being sued shouldn't be held accountable, but that the process of suing is not healthy for the church. So he says, even though it is ok to sue them it is not doing anyone, even other members of the body of Christ, any good. He also says it may be lawful but but the laws do not have total power over you, you can handle these situation in a different manner.

In I Corinthians 10, Paul is speaking to the church about eating meats that were sold which had been part of a sacrifice to idols. Basically, when the Greeks sacrificed to their gods it was like a bar-b-que, then they would sell the meat in the market places to make a profit. This church was divided a bit because some thought it was ok to buy that meat and eat it and some didn't. Paul was wanting them to see again that even though it was lawful to eat the meat it wasn't beneficial if it caused others to stumble in the body of Christ, this time he adds it may be lawful but it doesn't edify or build others up. We are supposed to be seeking the welfare or well-being of others more than our own well-being.

So what do these verse mean for us today.... I can think of many ways to apply it. I am going to say it like this... it may lawful or ok to speak your mind, but is it always a good thing? Is it ok to cause someone pain through your words just because you can? It maybe be an unwritten idea that if you go 5 miles over the speed limit that is ok you won't get a ticket, but is it ok to honk, make rude gestures, or yell at someone for going the exact speed limit? It is ok to play your music as loud as you want within reason, but is it ok to subject others around you to it?

I want to be beneficial to others, to build them up and not tear them down. To be helpful to those around me, not hurtful. I do long to do things the right way and to help others instead of tearing them down, but I know I don't always succeed. I am sarcastic and say things that hurt, and I can't say that it is always because I didn't think first. Sometimes I did think and said it anyway. As a result people get hurt and I get hurt and it strains the relationships. I need to learn to be more beneficial in my actions, my words, my prayers, and everything I do.

Thanks for reading. Have a great day. God bless you! Enjoy this song....


No comments:

Post a Comment