Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Spirited

Today's word is spirited... I think I will like this topic! There are so many routes I could take with it... Where shall I go? Maybe I will just start and see where I end up!

Since the beginning of eternity God has existed in the trinity. God the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. In the second verse of the Bible it says the Spirit of God hovered over the face of the waters. So, the Spirit has been working in the hearts of men (humans) since the beginning of time as we know it.

As Jesus walked on the earth, the Spirit was also here moving people to seek Jesus out; to listen to His words, and to follow Him. I believe the Spirit was with Jesus and comforted Him in His times of pain and sorrow, in the garden especially. The followers of Christ wanted to know what would happen when Christ would leave the earth. How would they go on without Jesus to guide them? Jesus told them when He left the Father would send a comforter, His Spirit to guide them. (Acts 1:4-8)

"When the Day of Pentecost had fully come, they were all with one accord in one place. And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance." Acts 2:1-4
Then it happened, the apostles were filled with the Spirit, they were spirited! Now, I am not going to get into whether or not "speaking in tongues" is part of being filled with the Spirit. That is not where I will go with those verses. The point is Jesus said the Spirit would come, that He would change and guide their lives, and be a comfort to them. It happened and it happens today for all those that believe in Him. Having the Spirit in our lives means some things... it bears some fruits.

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. 24 And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. 26 Let us not become conceited, provoking one another, envying one another." Galatians 5:22-26
"For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light (for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, righteousness, and truth), 10 finding out what is acceptable to the Lord." Ephesians 5:8-10
In the long run God has sent the Spirit to helps us not only for our sake but for His sake too; to show His character through us.  He is Love, He is Joy, He is Peace.... His patience (longsuffering) has to be vast, He is Good, and oh so Faithful. The Father is Gentle and has Self-control beyond measure. We are to show this to the world, to reflect God's character to all those around us. We do that by being spirited! And it helps if we can be a little like cheerleaders too!

The Ephesians passage says that we need to walk as children of the light, finding out what is acceptable to the Lord.... the only way to do that is to be spirited! To let the fruit of the Spirit seep out of every pore, or flow from us like a river that brings refreshing, cool, and life giving water to every one around us.

I wish I could do what I just said, all day every day! With God's help through His Spirit I can.... I just don't... unfortunately.  My attempts are no where near that, but I pray daily to be a witness for God in His way, through His Spirit. I have no idea how any of my actions or inaction really effect those around me... everything I do is like a stone dropped in the middle of a lake... the ripples are felt all the way to the to the lake's banks. So, I want to live SPIRITED! 

Where did I end up??? Oh dropped in the middle of a lake! Might be a cool place to be!
Thanks for reading. God Bless You All!

I made this video in 2007 because this song had meaning for me... it isn't specifically about the Spirit... but it is!



No comments:

Post a Comment