Thursday, June 7, 2018

Essential

Today the word is essential...


In school we are taught that there are basic needs that are essential to life: air, water, food, shelter, and clothing. At least that is what I was taught, looking on the internet today I saw that sunlight was also considered important and I agree. So, what can I say about these essential things that would be new and improved.... let's see!

Air is an essential part of living. Well, if we don't have air we would not be able to breathe. Where does the air we breathe come from? How is it that the air we breathe is just right to keep us alive? God created humans and He created the air we breathe. It is His air, His breathe that sustains us. 

And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being. Genesis 2:7
The Spirit of God has made me, And the breath of the Almighty gives me life. Job 33:4
Water is the next essential. There is approximately 71% of the earth covered by water. Our bodies, are made up of about 60% to 70%  water. It is usually the first thing we crave when we are hot or that we need when we become dehydrated. Jesus said He could give living water that would quench our thirst and give us eternal life. The thirst He spoke of was the longing to find that missing thing we need to fill the God shaped hole in our lives. We search and will continue to search until we drink from the water that only He can provide.

10 Jesus answered and said to her, “If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who says to you, ‘Give Me a drink,’ you would have asked Him, and He would have given you living water.”
11 The woman said to Him, “Sir, You have nothing to draw with, and the well is deep. Where then do You get that living water? 12 Are You greater than our father Jacob, who gave us the well, and drank from it himself, as well as his sons and his livestock?”
13 Jesus answered and said to her, “Whoever drinks of this water will thirst again, 14 but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst. But the water that I shall give him will become in him a fountain of water springing up into everlasting life.” John 4:10-14
Food is next, and I love food! We don't have to eat the most expensive cuts of meat, or the most exotic things to be sustained. Bread and water can be sustaining if it is all you have. Jesus said He was the Bread of Life. All who come to Him will never hunger. At least not spiritual, but I think physically also... He will supply your needs, notice I didn't say wants.
And Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life. He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst.   John 6:35
Shelter can be anything from a tree to sit under to a lavish house on a hill. It means something to protect you from the elements. A place to lay your head and get some rest. God is our shelter from the spiritual elements and the enemy that wishes to steal our hope. He is our strong tower against whatever the enemies throw at us.
For You have been a shelter for me, A strong tower from the enemy. Psalm 61:3
Deliver me, O Lord, from my enemies; In You I take shelter.        Psalm 143:9
Clothing... well if we want to be truthfully, the only reason we need clothing is because of sin. God never expected humans to be bound by clothing. Yet, because of Adams sin we are bound to the reality of clothing; it represents the lose of human innocence.  And God's grace was poured out that day when He sacrificed an animal (lamb?) to cloth His creation.
21 Also for Adam and his wife the Lord God made tunics of skin, and clothed them. Genesis 3:21
 Sunlight produces energy, gives light and warmth. Sunlight helps things grow. I am going to play with the word a bit, because I can... Sonlight also makes things grow. When we live in the light of the Son of God we will grow and live for God. Jesus is the light of the spiritual part of this world, just like the sun is the physical light of this world. We need both lights to navigate our lives on the earth.

Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, “I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.” John 8:12
So how did I do? Did I give a new perspective on some old thoughts? Probably not... I am sure many of you have thought of the same things. If you haven't I hope that you will begin to study the Word, letting God share His thoughts and mind with you as He has with me.

Thanks for reading. God Bless you!




No comments:

Post a Comment