Sunday, July 1, 2018

Prominent


Definition of prominent
1: standing out or projecting beyond a surface or lineprotuberant
2a: readily noticeable conspicuous
b: widely and popularly known leading

The way this word is used in the Bible and the way we think of it are the same, with respect to a person being widely and popularly known. I am going to speak to the other two definitions a little and try to fine ways to use them in light of the scripture. 

Standing out or projecting beyond the surface... 
So many people know and believe that Jesus is Lord that He came to earth, lived a perfect life, died on the cross for our sinful lives, was buried, rose again, and is coming again! Yet, in all their belief in the heart, you couldn't tell it by the way they live. Oh, they may not be living a life that is obviously "bad", but you wouldn't really know they are Christians just by looking at them. I believe our lives as Christians should be noticeable, but not self-righteously either...
Do all things without complaining and disputing, that you may become blameless and harmless, children of God without fault in the midst of a crooked and perverse generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast the word of life, so that I may rejoice in the day of Christ that I have not run in vain or labored in vain.   Philippians 2:14-16

You may ask, How do I do that? Well, the verse above gives some insight to that, and there are many more verses that do the same. Look at verse 14, "Do all things" without complaining and disputing. That is a "hard row to hoe" isn't it... We are so prone to complaining about every little thing and if we think we are right we will argue about it at the drop of a hat. I am just as guilty as the next person. I have been trying to not complain as much, and I really don't like confrontation so I am fining it easier to walk away. My problem is that I may walk away, but I replay the situation over and over and end up getting angry at myself. This doesn't mean that we should let people run over us either, but if it is at all possible to resolve a situation without complaining or disputing, try that first. 

Readily noticeable is a little harder. aside from wearing a neon sign that says "I am a Christian!' How can we be noticeable. What makes you stand out as a person? What makes people want to get to know you? What talents do you have that cause people to take notice of you? Everyone has something, unfortunately, the things that make us noticeable aren't always "good".  Whatever it is that causes people to take notice of you, use it to make them see Jesus. In my "art" (if that is what it is called) I try to give God glory through it. When I sing, I want Him to get the glory not me. When I teach or write, I know it is Him teaching through me, because let's face it I am just not that smart.  I want Him to shine through in all that I do, I want Him to be readily noticeable in my life. It is not an easy task and as I have said many times I fail terribly most of the time. 

Use what you have and who you are in Christ to stand out for Him, not so you can be prominent in life with fame and riches, but so others come to Christ because of your testimony. Your willingness to share Him with others just by living your life will draw others to Him. Our lives speak volumes about who we are, and if we are a Christian about who we think and believe Christ is. What does your life say? 

Thanks for reading! God Bless You All!

Not sure why I am sharing this video... I made it a long time ago... This song speaks to me



No comments:

Post a Comment