Monday, July 23, 2018

Jovial

Jovial: markedly good-humored especially as evidenced by cheerfulness and conviviality 
I have to admit I had to look up conviviality... or convivial

 relating to, occupied with, or fond of feasting, drinking, and good company 
So it seems to me that this word has to do with being cheerful and enjoying the company of others, maybe large gatherings. In the beginning of the Church actually in the beginning of life as Israel became a nation... God instituted gatherings or "parties" that were design to worship Him. These feast were to help Israel remember all God had done for them, to allow them time to reflect on their individual lives, and to enjoy the company of friends and family as they worshiped their God.

It was no different in the beginning of the church, those times to gather meant fellowship, worship, food, and fun. They shared a meal almost every time they gathered to worship and hear the message God sent their way. It was a way for them to learn from God and enjoy the company of their fellow bothers and sisters in Christ.

The Bible says:
"And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching. " Hebrews 10:24-25
I believe that being together with brother's and sisters in Christ helps us to grow and be productive members of the body of Christ. We should be cheerful and good-humored so we can build up the other members of the body. We were not meant to be alone.

With that in mind, Christ also teaches us a lesson about how we should live our lives with and without the "group". So many times Jesus is with His disciples teaching them about the ways to love and honor God as well as loving and respecting each other. He had gatherings that 5000 men attended and was comfortable in that group. Shortly, after that gathering he left with His disciples only, so His group became smaller. A little after that He went to the mountain alone to pray. On the night of His betrayal, Christ started the day with throngs of people worshiping Him in the streets, then had dinner with His disciples. He left the dinner with 11 of  His disciples to go to the garden and pray, He asked 3 of them to come deeper into the garden with Him. He left them there, asking them to pray with Him as He went alone deeper into the garden. There are times when we need to be in a group and be jovial! there are times when we need to get alone, and remember, that in those times when Jesus chose to separated Himself, He was not alone. In those times, His Father and the spirit were right there with Him. They are right there with us as we are alone, Jesus is there too!

I think being jovial, and getting out with friends is very important. I also believe there is a time maybe even a season when being alone is what is needed. Paul spent at least 3 years alone learning from Christ after his conversion...
For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but it came through the revelation of Jesus Christ.
nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me; but I went to Arabia, and returned again to Damascus. Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and remained with him fifteen days. But I saw none of the other apostles except James, the Lord’s brother.  Galatians 1:11, 17-19
So being alone is a good thing if it is being used in the right way. I would love to be jovial, I am not that type of person. I can be in a crowd or group, I can even go to a party, but I feel so out of place. I do spend time with others.... sometimes. I need to do it more often. If you can be jovial go for it, but also remember some alone time is needed also!

Thanks for Reading. God Bless You All!


Here is the finished drawing from yesterday :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment