Sunday, August 18, 2013

YÂDAʽ

I have been reading the book, "not a fan." by Kyle Idleman. Many times when I read christian books such as this I do so with a little apprehension about what I will find. So far this book has been good and I have gotten this word from it.

YÂDAʽ (Yaw-dah') is not the word I am sure you are familiar with, the one that you say or have heard said to represent empty or boring talk as the Merriam-Webster Dictionary. YÂDAʽ is actually a Hebrew word for the word know and not just any word know. This is the word used in describing the relationship between a husband and a wife, "Adam knew Eve his wife..." (Genesis 4:1) It isn't a casual knowing, this represents a intimate relationship. Throughout the Bible this word is used to describe that way God knows us and the way we should know Him. God wants a deeply intimate relationship with us on a spiritual level. He knows us on this level and has given us the choice to have that kind of relationship with Him. The thing is most of us only want a "yada, yada, yada...." relationship instead of a YÂDAʽ relationship.

So how do we have that kind of relationship with God? What does that look like? The story used to describe the relationship in the bible is a good place to start to answer these questions. The writer was talking about Jesus going to Simon's house for a meal. Simon was a Pharisee and He knew the laws and etiquette rituals of his country. He also knew who he had invited to eat with him although he had no desire to treat him as an honored guest. Jesus was not greeted with a kiss, he was not offered water to wash his feet. As they ate a woman come into the place, she fell at Jesus feet crying, she took her hair down (not something done in public or in front of a man not your husband). She washed Jesus' feet with her tears, and dry them with her hair, then she poured perfume on them and kissed them. She was worshiping her God and honoring him in a YÂDAʽ kind of way. She gave all she had, with out remorse, and without fear. Did people talk about her, Yes! Do you think she cared, I don't! She was unashamed to show her intimate love for the Lord. She was willing to risk everything!

Can we have this kind of love and devotion, this level of intimate relationship with our Lord? Yes, we can! The question is are we willing to change our way of living, our way of worship. Are we willing to reach out to God and know Him like He knows us. The choice is ours. There is a song that asks "If Jesus was here would you walk right by on the other side or fall and worship at His holy feet!" (My Jesus, Todd Agnew)

Lord, I want to YÂDAʽ you. I want to worship you in a way that reflects the love you have given me. I want an intimate relationship with you, Lord. Please help me to find that.

The Quote:
"Oh Lord, You have examined my heart and know everything about me. You know when I sit down or stand up. You know my thoughts even when I am far away. You see me when I travel and when I am at home. You know everything I do. You know everything I am going to say even before I say it, Lord." ~Psalms 139:1-4 (NLT)
The Drawing:



No comments:

Post a Comment