Monday, August 12, 2013

UPSTREAM

Yesterday while listening to the message at church I thought of this word in reference to something the preacher said. His sermon was about Christians being winners, yet this came up in a way and I am taking off with it.

I thought of Salmon travelling upstream, against the current. It is a life journey for the Salmon to come back to its birthplace to the end of its life. To get back to this place they must, maneuver around obstacles, jump over water falls, avoid predators, and travel hundreds of miles. Then after the long journey and having spawn a new generation, they die.

In the world there is a current that flows in one direction. Yet, God said in Romans 12:2 "not to be conformed by the world." The current of the world can engulf a person and cause them to want to blend in and go with the flow, not to stand out and be different. Yet, that is exactly what God said we are to do if we are Christians.

We need to travel against the natural current in order to be what God wants us to be. We have to avoid obstacles, like pride and addictions. We have to beware of predators, like Satan, old friends, and even ourselves. We have to navigate waterfalls and floods of emotions, pain, sorrow, joy, happiness, and love. We have to travel many, many miles to get to our destination. And all along the way we are supposed to be bringing new followers with us. The greatest thing about the upstream travels is that at the end of it all there is not death..... but eternal life! A life that will be so much better than the one we have here, where everyone is on the same path and the flow is in the same direction, the right direction.

Lord, I pray that I can be like the Salmon and fight the upstream current to get to the destination you have for me. I know it will be hard, and I have a lot to learn as I go against the flow. Help me Lord to not give up, to navigate the obstacles, to avoid the predators, especially myself, and to find friends along the way to come too.

The Quote:
Remember, a dead fish can float downstream, but it takes a live one to swim upstream." ~ W.C. Fields 
The Drawing:

No comments:

Post a Comment