Wednesday, May 1, 2013

HUMBLE

 Here is a word that can stir up so conversation. What does it mean to be humble? The dictionary says:
: not proud or haughty : not arrogant or assertive
: reflecting, expressing, or offered in a spirit of deference or submission
: ranking low in a hierarchy or scale : insignificant, unpretentious
: not costly or luxurious 
In the bible I think that the first definition is the closest to the one used in the quote. It is speaking of people who are not arrogant, and who do not think themselves better than anyone else. Paul is just repeating what he was saying the the first part of the verse. We are all supposed to be of the same mind. No one is better than anyone else.

One problem with this word is that people tend to take it to the second and third definitions. They tend to try and be too submissive, having a defeated spirit, or to seem of little or no significance. I have to admit, I do feel that way at times, but it was pointed out to me that that is actually more an issue of pride than humility. I see the point. I can't explain it really, it is like saying, hey look at poor pitiful me, I am nothing. I am actually trying to make myself stand out more by drawing attention to how "humble" (insignificant and defeated) I am.

We are supposed to seek out people to be with who are truly humble, that do not use puffed up speech, thinking that their opinions are always the best. We need to be of the same mind, living in harmony, and treating each other with love, respect, and encouragement.

Lord help me to be humble in the true sense of the word. Help me stop being defeated and insignificant acting. Help me to seek out others that I can encourage and build up in harmony and in return receive the same from them.

The Quote:
"Do not set your mind on high things, but associate with the humble. Do not be wise in your own opinion."
The Drawing:

No comments:

Post a Comment