Tuesday, February 19, 2013

TOUGH-LOVE

I found a verse in my reading today that probably has a lot to do with tough-love instead of enabling. I know I have read it before since I read Proverbs everyday, today it spoke. Proverbs 19:19 "A man of great wrath will suffer punishment; For if you rescue him, you will have to do it again."

So many times we come to the rescue of our friends and family over and over. They may not be full of wrath, or even be in "big" trouble, and we still rescue. I have been on the receiving end of the rescuing and on the giving. If we keep rescuing the person from the "punishment" they should receive it is not doing either of us any good. Punishment serves a purpose, it teaches. I know it is hard to watch someone suffer and I for one do not like to suffer, it is needed sometimes for us to grow.

God practices tough-love all the time. I do not believe He wants us to have to be punished or to suffer. He is a loving God who wishes we could all be perfect and never get in trouble. He is also all knowing, He knows that will not happen until we have crossed over to the life here after. So, when we fall the first time He may help us, after that He may love us enough to let us suffer the consequences of our actions, He loves us toughly.

The Quote:
"The greatest gift a parent can give a child is unconditional love. As a child wanders and strays, finding his bearings, he needs a sense of absolute love from a parent. There's nothing wrong with tough love, as long as the love is unconditional." ~George W. Bush
The Drawing:



No comments:

Post a Comment