Tuesday, February 12, 2013

ABIDE

Today as I was reading John 15 I noticed the word abide. I have read this before many times and I knew the word was there it just stood out today. There are a few ways it is used and that is what caught my attention.

"Abide in Me" (vs 4)  Jesus was telling his disciples that they must abide in Him to produce fruit. and if they didn't they would be cut off. Now I believe that doesn't mean they would lose their salvation, it means they would not be used by God any more and they would have fewer rewards in Heaven. Bearing fruit can not be done without Christ, "for without Me you can do nothing."

It goes on to say that His words should abide in us. (vs.7) If His words abide in us we can ask what we desire and it shall be done for us. I believe if we quote promises from the word to God in prayer that they will be given to us. We need His word to abide in us to do that, we need to know it.

Next, it says to abide in His Love. (vs 9) If we keep His commandments we will abide in His Love. Jesus taught that the commandments basically came down to two, Love God with all your heart, soul, and mind. And Love your neighbor as yourself. If we do these two then we are abiding in His love.

He said all this about abiding in Him and in His word and in His love to let us know if we do this our joy will be full. Because we are full of Him. Does that mean we won't have troubles, No! the chapter goes on to speak about persecution. If we abide in Him the way we should then we can expect persecution! I would rather abide in Him and be persecuted than to be without Him in my life.

The Quote:
“I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing." ~John 15:5
 The Drawing:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment