Friday, January 11, 2013

TRY


My class rules again. 

"Try to do your very best," I ask the kids which of the words in that rule is the most important. Of course they always say best. I explain that you can't do your best until you try. Trying is important, just plopping down with your arms crossed and saying I can't "is not the right attitude" as one of my first grade students said. My mother always said “can't, never could till he tried.” We have to try. We have to put effort out, for our best to be achieved.
 

Another point I make to my students about this rule is that everyone's best is not the same! If two people are running a race one is going to win and one is going to lose, does that mean the loser didn't do their best? No! it just means their best was different. They tried and that was the important part!



The Quote:


'Tis a lesson you should heed:


Try, try, try, again.


If at first you don't succeed,


Try, try, try again.'


~ William Edward Hickson
The Drawing:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment