Saturday, January 2, 2016

Garden

 "And they heard the sound of the Lord God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the Lord God among the trees of the garden." Genesis 3:8 

Every year, I try to read the bible through, last year I read all but Revelations, I got a little behind. This year the church I attend is reading through using "Daily Walk" magazine. Today, the reading was from Genesis 3-5. 

As I was reading the scripture above I thought of one of my favorite hymns, "In the Garden" here are the words if you are not familiar with it...

"I come to the garden alone,
  1. While the dew is still on the roses,
    And the voice I hear falling on my ear
    The Son of God discloses.
    • Refrain:
      And He walks with me, and He talks with me,
      And He tells me I am His own;
      And the joy we share as we tarry there,
      None other has ever known.
  2. He speaks, and the sound of His voice
    Is so sweet the birds hush their singing,
    And the melody that He gave to me
    Within my heart is ringing.
  3. I’d stay in the garden with Him,
    Though the night around me be falling,
    But He bids me go; through the voice of woe
    His voice to me is calling."
  4. The scene in the garden on the day in Genesis 3 made me think of this song. I believe that up until the two were made to leave the Garden, their walks with God were like this song. It was peaceful and calm, no problems, nothing to fear, and a serene atmosphere of love, joy, and wonder. 
  5. Today, and ever since that time we (humanity) has longed for that peace and comfort. We have tried to tame the earth and produce gardens that mimic the one the LORD God created. Ours pale in comparison to the Garden God walked in. Although, even though it is not the same, He is there all the while, longing for the sweet companionship with His creation. He longs to walk and talk with us. He wants to hold us and guide us. 
  6. I like to walk through gardens, and quiet wooded areas. At those times I can almost feel the presence of God walking right beside me. I can hear His voice telling me what He wants me to know. 
  7. Lord, today and everyday let me find tie to enter a garden. Even if it is just in the solitude of meditation. Help make the time to hear you speak and to feel you gentle guiding me in the way to go. Thank-you Lord for your love. Amen 



No comments:

Post a Comment