Friday, January 22, 2016

Coding

I have been using computers for a long time. I started teaching myself about computers when I worked with youth in Pennsylvania in the mid 80's. In 91, I took a course while doing some add on certification. In the mid 90's, I had an old Mac Classic that I used to make a webpage. I started writing HTML. I have never been able to get used to using a webpage editor even though I can use them. It just seems wrong. I now have two graduate degrees with emphasis on educational technology.

I have played with programming off and on for many years. I have just not really used it for anything, and I am not sure that I ever will. The thing is that today I decided to let my enrichment class try their hand at some basic programming. They were so excited, with the possibility of creating their own games or apps. They were catching on to block coding very quickly, I know that soon I will be able to let them do more.

I am so happy when I can find things kids are interested in. It almost makes me want to have another computer camp this year with robotics or coding as the focus. I know that the children could produce some awesome things just given half a chance. Who knows the next "Bill Gates" might be in my class!

Thank-you Lord for giving me the opportunity to spark the imagination and wonder in the children I teach. Help me to always be willing to learn more so I can help the children more. Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment