Monday, April 15, 2013

ABHOR

ABHOR: to regard with extreme repugnance : loathe

Strong word, even stronger than Hate in my eyes. Romans 12:9b says "Abhor what is evil." That leads me to wonder what is evil? Can evil be different for different people? Or is there a standard for evil? Is there a line that is crossed that marks where evil starts and good ends? 

Solomon said there is nothing new under the sun. The world was just as evil in his day as it is today. The same kinds of evil were around in his day, as are today, we just have different devices of evil.  This verse does not say hate the person though, it says to hate evil. The evil things that are done. There are many people like Saddam Hussein, Osama ben laden, Timothy McVeigh, Charles Manson and many others that have done very evil things against the human race. Many people hate those and others like them. I am sure that the people listed, could care less if anyone liked or cared for them. I hate the evil they did, they killed and sought to hurt as many people as they could. Their acts were repugnant and loathsome, I do not hate them. I can't help but wonder how their lives would have been different, if someone had prayed for them or sought to guide them down a different path. I think they deserve the punishments they received and are receiving. I still can not hate them.

I have done things that many may consider evil, and if it weren't for the grace of God I could be just like anyone of the people list above. We all have the capacity to be just like the people we consider evil, because we are human and have a sin nature. We are not supposed to abhor the person who comments the evil act, we are supposed to abhor the evil act. Lord, help me be mindful of the fact that we all have it in us to do evil, help me to hate the evil I do and to turn from it. 

The Quote:
"Abhor what is evil." ~Romans 12:9b
The Drawing:

No comments:

Post a Comment