Monday, October 21, 2013

MOTIVES

The Quote:
"Every way of a man is right in his own eyes, but the Lord weighs the hearts." Proverbs 21:2
As I have said many time, I read in Proverbs everyday, so today was Proverbs 21. I have read the verse above many times and yet today it stood out. Maybe it is because of the things I am struggling with and the things I am studying outside of my time in Proverbs, whatever the reason this stood out today.

We all have things we wish to accomplish and do for ourselves and for the Lord, this verse speaks to motives we have.  I want to be Godly and work for Him in all that I do, but why? There are many things I do today not really because I want God to be happy with me but because it is expected. God knows when I am doing something out of obligation instead of out of worship to Him. And maybe doing those things out of obligation might help me to eventually do them out of habit which will free me up to do it as worship, I doubt it though.

Motives are a strong factor in the way things are perceived. God weighs our hearts, He will take anything we do "for Him" but He knows our motives and if they are not right and just is will count as nothing "for us". The next verse in Proverbs says "To do righteousness and justice is more acceptable to the Lord than sacrifice." It does not matter how much time we sacrifice, how much money, or any other thing we see as a sacrifice to the Lord, if we do it out of obligation, without a right and just heart, it was for nothing.

It is hard to do all things to the glory of God, self gets in the way. Lord, I pray that I can work on my motives and attitudes for the things I do in your name. The things I do to worship you, whatever it may be!

The Drawing:

No comments:

Post a Comment